The Oxford Exchange Courses
European Security Studies
The European Security Studies Programme (ESS) for professionals:
Dates for 2022-2023:
- ESS 22-2 (December 2022): Take a deep dive into the complexities of the European Area of Responsibility. Designed for military personnel, embassy personnel, or other professionals from the public or private sectors.
- OEX professors utilise Socratic Method and Design Thinking exercises to engage our Fellows.
*1 Week or 2 Week intensive courses in Oxford. We also offer a mix of courses taught virtually via Zoom or MS Teams and in residence;
*Lectures: taught by faculty of leading universities and think tanks;
* Seminars: Small group interactions led by faculty;
* Distinguished Guest Series: Think-tank style panel led by OEX faculty who will facilitate discussions followed by Q&A.
* Level of Difficulty: Intensive and tailored for security practitioners.
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR A BROCHURE AND MORE INFORMATION: [email protected]
Oxford Leadership Academy
Student Type: Pre-University (age 16-18), and Adults (19+)
Our professors utilise Socratic Method to engage our students, as well as Design Thinking (Stanford Method) techniques to enable our students to “learn-by-doing.”
- International Relations, Law & Policy
- Global Business & Management
- English Language
- British History & Archaeology
- Medicine & Global Health
- Film Studies & Screenwriting
- Creative Writing & English Literature
- Security Studies: Cyber Security
A Typical Course:
*One week or two week-long intensive courses in Oxford. We also offer a mix of courses taught virtually via Zoom or MS Teams and in residence;
*Lectures with Q&A: taught by subject matter experts and faculty of leading European universities and think tanks;
* Distinguished Guest Series: Discussions led by OEX faculty who will facilitate discussions followed by Q&A.
* Level of difficulty: Intensive and tailored for two separate groups – pre-university aged 16-18; and adults (19+).
- No class size has greater than 12 students
1) The Basics – International Relations Theory and European perspectives
2) Britain post-Brexit (Home) – Social & Political Trends
3) Britain post-Brexit (Away) – ‘Global Britain’ and a New Role in Geopolitics?
4) US Foreign Policy and National Security Strategy
5) China and the European AOR
6) Russia and the European AOR (The Ukraine War)
7) Expanding NATO? Turkey, The Middle East, Africa, and the Indo-Pacific
8) Special Topics: The UK/Europe and the Space Domain/Space Diplomacy
9) Special Topics: The UK/Europe and Iran & Afghanistan
10) Special Topics: ‘Monuments Men & Women: The UK/Europe and Cultural Heritage Protection’
OEX faculty are qualified lecturers with distinguished careers and hold PhDs or equivalent senior-level experience or military service.
* Oxford University Centre Director
* Oxford University Faculty (Lecturers and Tutors) in International Relations & Diplomatic Studies
* Former Professor of Security Studies, Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies (APCSS)
* Kings College London Faculty (Lecturers and Tutors) in War Studies
* Cambridge University Faculty (Lecturers and Tutors) in History and Area Studies
* Directors of British Think Tanks and experts in the British parliamentary system
* Counter-Terrorism Subject Matter Experts (PhD from Royal Holloway, University of London)